Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Here's comes Easter

Here comes Easter...and with it means another weird feeling motivated by the awkwardness of knowing that we should be celebrating Christ, but not sure what that means, b/c we so seldom experience holy celebration. Does that make sense?

Either go buy Celebration of Discipline, by Richard Foster; or borrow it from a friend and read the last chapter on the discipline of Celebration. Here the Kevin's Notes version if you can't get it:


Celebration is @ the heart of the way of Christ.

He entered the world on a high note of jubilation: “I bring you good news of a great joy,” cried the angel, “which shall come to all the people” (Luke 2:10).
He left the world bequeathing his joy to the disciples: “These things I have spoken to you that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full” (John 15:11).

The carefree spirit of joyous festivity is absent in contemporary society. Apathy, even melancholy, dominates the times. We’ve been so pressed towards useful work and rational understanding that we have forgotten how to celebrate.

*Celebration brings joy into life, and joy makes us strong.
-Scripture tells us that the joy of the Lord is our
strength (Neh. 8:10)!

-“joy is the motor that keeps everything else going” -R.F.

*The path to Joy is obedience:
Blessed are those who hear the word and keep it! (Luke 11:28)

Hollow and shallow v. Deep and fulfilling joy!


Here is my way of celebrating this Easter:
Lindsey and I went to Home Depot together and bought materials to build a planter for our porch. She picked out some spices, herbs, and flowers to plant in it. Last night, I built a 4'X18" planter and stained it. Today, we will plant our baby plants. I don't know what this has to do with Easter exactly...I guess I could make up some kind of connection between new life and the new life promised through the death and resurrection of Christ. But, really for me...it is just intentionally doing something that I normally do not do. I guess it could be like building an alter: throughout the year, whenever I see the plants growing, maybe I'll remember that I built that planter at Easter...I guess I'm creating memorable moments. Maybe I should do more, like paint a mural of Christ's open grave on it...nah, I'm just enjoying recognizing and celebrating the Easter season by doing something different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home